RE: [K12OSN] Kernel Panic - can't find NIC

My apologies Jim,

I've been running in circles and have been reading AT these posts
instead of reading them thoroughly. I sat down tonight and actually read
your post. I'm going to try to find my old dhcpd.conf and help you out.
I had terminal services working with those exact dell machines and had
that exact problem. You have to add some option-129 entry with some
bogus looking mac address in your dhcpd.conf below the mac entry for the
machine itself. When I find it I'll post it. Sorry for the hold-up.

Caleb Wagnon, MCP
Fordyce School District
Office of Technology
Fordyce, Arkansas 71742
(870) 352-2968

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I installed LINUX.

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 16:14, Jim Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of my clients has been having trouble booting.  At first,
etherboot
> couldn't find the NIC.  I've noticed that this problem is often
reported
> when the ethernet cable is bad, but that's not the case this time (I
> swapped with a known good cable).
>
> The client is a circa 1996 DELL 586, 133MHz.  I've got 22 of them.
>
> Thinking the NIC itself went bad, I bought another one.  Best Buy had
> some Netgear FA311's (PCI, 10/100) on sale, so I picked up one of
those
> ($5.00 after rebates).  Then I made a boot floppy at rom-o-matic and
> fired it up.
>
> EB detects the NIC OK, the DHCP server is found, and the kernel is
> loaded.  But then the kernel cannot detect the NIC.  I don't remember
> the exact wording of the error message, but it suggests that PCI NICs
> should be detected automatically (and this is a PCI NIC), but that I
> need to spec some option-129 stuff if this is an ISA NIC.
>
> Perhaps my problem was not a bad NIC after all?  Anyone care to weigh
in
> on this one?
>
> --
> Jim Thomas            Principal Applications Engineer  Bittware, Inc
> jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
> I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

---