[K12OSN] Backups (Was: SMP freezes...)

Caleb --

We are a smallish district too, and we had very poor backups procedures. I recently started using rysnc for backups, and it is nicer than any tape system I could ever imagine. I followed this page's idea: http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ (note: I didn't get as complicated with NFS remounting, etc -- in my system, if someone wants files restored, they have to contact me... again, we are a small district.)

It is SO perfect -- I just wish we hadn't spent $1000 on the tape backups a few years ago (that was never really used right)

note2: I use rsync over ssh -- if you go that route and need help using keypairs, you can search this list. I asked for help when I was setting up our system, and as usual, got lots of helpful replies.

-Shawn