Re: [K12OSN] Mozilla xft and MS TrueType fonts

I totally agree, a web page viewer isn't likely to have that dorky font anyways, so why put it in there in the first place?
and MS Frontpage should be banned from the web, It just creates bad habits in new web page designers and is not easier to use or learn than a real web design package.

But that rant didn't answer your question :)

I have been using xft with varios versions of linux for several years, if it seems solid on your system then it will probably work ok, but if it doesn't then you will have problem after problem with it. things like X won't start some times, no icons load when you log in, no text in apps when you open them. And when you get one problem fixed the other problem comes back :)

But I haven't had any problem with it on RH 8 for the last 2 months. so it may be that all the bugs are worked out by now.

Thomas E. Haynes wrote:

They are using using FrontPage from Windows machines to write web pages the
students access from LTSP clients?

I claim this is a lesson in writing pages everyone can use. If they have to
use dorky fonts or symbols, they probably need to be creating pdfs...

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Baillie" <jbaillie stmarys-school org> To: <k12osn redhat com> Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 4:22 PM Subject: [K12OSN] Mozilla xft and MS TrueType fonts

Hello All,

I installed the Mozilla xft version along with the MS TrueType fonts on
RH 8.0 here at home. I have been using it for a week now. According to
the readme there are some bugs so I am leery to install it on our K12
servers at school.

This seems like a good thing to have especially since all our teachers
use FrontPage for their class web sites. Anyone care to ring in on this.

John