From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com] On Behalf
Of Tait Shrum
Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 6:50 PM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] How many users?

When I read his post, I assumed he was talking about Linux on his
servers.
 We have Linux on most of our servers, but two small servers for our
business labs.  I would guess that we have between 2,000 -2,500 desktops
in our district.  One of my co-workers can correct me if I'm wrong on
the
number of desktops.

We switched over last year and completed the migration in phases, which
was complete at the end of the school year.  It was been a smart
decision,
I think.  Everything is VERY stable.  If Samba (which is what we use for
file services and logon) messes up, just do a quick smb restart and most
users never know the difference (I reiterate, most!).

Let us know if we can help further,
Tait Shrum
Bryant Public Schools

Caleb Wagnon said:
> I read your post and had to have someone pick me up out of the floor.
> Are you talking about doing terminal services for 3000 desktops or are
> you talking about just switching your servers to linux?
>
> Caleb Wagnon, MCP
> Fordyce School District
> Office of Technology
> Fordyce, Arkansas 71742
> (870) 352-2968
>
> The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I installed LINUX.

Behalf
> Of Jeffrey O'Hara
> Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 9:35 AM
> To: k12osn redhat com
> Subject: [K12OSN] How many users?
>
> Just curious, how many users are people are supporting? There has been
> interest in switching to a Linux based solution in our environment
> (probably just servers only?.  Due to our large environment things
could
> get hairy if we don't plan correctly.  Currently we are running novell
> and groupwise mail for our servers.  We have 22 buildings all
networked
> through a wan (t1 access to the CO riding down a channelized t3 to our
> main administrative building) I'm looking at aproximately @3000
desktops
> and @22 file servers and @14000 users (i think).  Anyone done
> installations this large?