[K12OSN] How many Users

Are you looking at the server end, or desktop?? Or both. We are about
half your size but we have new Novell 6 servers and Win XP Metaframe in
place. We have them centralized with fiber connecting the buildings. I
am looking at implementing the  desktops using LTSP. If I can run a Lab
of 25 to 30 LTSP,s on one server running the Citrix client (Which I have
already proven) that saves a M$ license per workstation. In addition if
I can run Open Office and Gimp that saves a M$Office and PhotoShop
license per desktop. Now we are getting into serious money.I cant seem
to get answers when I address issues typical of maintaining a large
number of desktops so I am guessing most people are working on the
server end. I would be interested in communicating with anyone who is
working om implementing LTSP as a desktop. I suspect a lot of people are
monitoring this project waiting to jump in when the desktop becomes
solid enough to implement large scale. I know our district has 300 to
400 workstations per technician so if we cant replicate and depend on
the desktop software then it doesnt matter how much we could save in
licensing, we could not maintain them.
Anyhow, that is my take on how Linux and LTSP is being used.

MOLIGNEY earthlink net
Mike Oligney
Lowell Area Schools