[K12OSN] May I suggest a package updater?

Hello, all:

I've seen a blurb about "apt-get" being provided with k12ltsp-3.0.0, and
I thought I would suggest yum instead. See:

http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/

for more information. Here is a small snippet of info from the page.

Q. Why not just use apt-rpm?
A. a number of reasons:

   1. apt determines dependencies etc then it runs:
      rpm -i --nodeps --noorder [bunch of stuff here]
          * that's messy
          * that limits simultaneous erases and installs
          * am I the only one who shudders at the system call being
            made for its MAJOR operation?
   2. Size of codebase in apt (find -name \*.cc | xargs wc -l): 40141
      Size of codebase in yum (find -name \*.py | xargs wc -l): 4681
   3. Yum doesn't build this huge pkg information file (packages.gz) it
      has a small pkg list (header.info) but then it passes around the
      REAL rpm headers. Its cleaner and easier, less things have the
      potential to get lost in the translation b/c there is,
      ultimately, no translation.
   4. Yum is written in python and therefore can benefit from code
      theft from anaconda and up2date - I did indeed steal the lilo
      updating code directly from up2date and learned A LOT from
      anaconda.
   5. Yum provides the features of apt w/o all the dpkg-compatibility
      baggage.

Most linux systems at Duke are kept updated using yum, and I think many
more people can benefit from it. Other distributions using yum are: ASP
Linux and Fermi Linux (both RH spinoffs themselves).

I would gladly provide a yum respository for updates, but then I would
need a timely rsync to the updates in the first place.

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin