Re: [K12OSN] VIA NIC

From: Trond Mæhlum <trondrm online no>
Wiz 8 wrote:

1394 refers to the IEEE spec otherwise know as Firewire. I know that WinXP supports networking over firewire and that is why is is shows up in the network connections screen. That's just my best guess.

Yes, this seems right. I know my system has Firewire. Does this mean that that nic is unusable in Linux?

Linux supports Firewire, but what windows is doing is allowing Firewire to be used for networking. Firewire was originally invented to provide a high speed interface for Digital Video Cameras. Windows's support of networking over Firewire is like Windows supporting networking over the serial port. So the end result is that you don't really have an onboard nic from what I can tell. Sorry.

Paul