Re: [K12OSN] LDAP and cyrus...

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Shawn Powers wrote:

>Eric (or anyone that might know),
>
>There used to be a link on http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us that pointed
>to info setting up cyrus and ldap to do email...  The link is broken
>now, so I'm curious -- is it terribly difficult?

You were probably thinking of this page:

	http://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/ldap/postfix.html

I updated the software, but all of the docs are woefully out of date :-(

>Next school year, we'll have linux, mac, and windows -- and I'd like to
>use LDAP for our authentication.  Is it possible to set up email
>accounts via cyrus automagically?

Yes and no. I use perl scripts to automagically create accounts.
I happen to be working on cleaning these up for RH8.x, I'll post them
somewhere when I'm done...

>Another question -- when a linux box authenticates from LDAP, I assume
>during the process of adding a user, a home directory has to be made as
>well.  (Perhaps Eric's scripts do this?)

There is a pam_homedir module that can do this. It doesn't always behave
the way I'd want it to, so I tend to script that as well.

>Lastly, do commandline things like "passwd username" as root still
>change the password?  (ie, as root, can I change a students password at
>the commandline, or is fancy LDAPping required?)

Some utilites work as normal, some don't.

For the ones that don't, I've done a little bit of work on creating
versions that do the LDAP grunt work:

  ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/ldaphacks/ldaphacks.tgz

-Eric