Re: [K12OSN] Stubborn users that refuse to die!

--- David Trask <dtrask vcs u52 k12 me us> wrote:
> Was...Easy way to kill users.  Thanks for the
> creative responses....I know
> i left myself wide open....I laughed since that's
> exactly how I feel a lot
> fo the time.

I have to say, I rather liked the shotgun plan :)

> My new situation....I got TeacherTool to work by
> making the changes
> discussed earlier (except for the VNC part).

I've written up a how to for getting vnc to work.
I had it read over by someone else, and tomorrow I'm
going to make someone follow it to see how it goes.
Any alterations later, I'll send it to the list.

> OpenOffice is still giving
> me some problems.  Today....I had a class of 20 kids
> working in
> Presentation in OpenOffice.  All got in except one.
> When I used
> TeacherTool and viewed the processes...I saw about 5
> "soffice.bin"
> instances each followed by a number (I assume the
> PID).  When I tried to
> kill "soffice.bin" I was unable to.  One of the
> process numbers was
> "12841".   So I went to the terminal and typed
> kill 12841
> Nothing.   I used treeps.....I can't kill anything
> there as it tells me I
> don't have permission.  (I was logged in as root)
> I tried    kill
> SIGKILL 12841......and that seemed to work....I went
> in to TeacherTool
> again and the "soffice.bin" stuff was gone.  The kid
> was then able to
> click on OO and it came up.

I run into this same problem with Mozilla, and might
with OO as well, but it is rarely used.
I've found that a simple 'kill <pid of mozilla>'
doesn't cut it, I have to use what I refer to as the
'kill it dead' signal, 9 (I'm pretty sure that's
SIGKILL).  Use it like so:

# kill -9 <evil PID that won't go away>

Then said PID eats death and generally goes away after
a second or two.