Re: [K12OSN] Re: where to keep home (followup)

Jimmy Schwankl wrote:

[snip]

> the idea is that when a uesr logs in he/she
> should be
> able to open their folder on the OS X box.  this is not happening right
> now.
> what i do have is when a uesr logs in he/she get their default home
> directory
> (/home/*) when when they go to /users/* to open their folder they can't
> because
> they don't have rights to.  it is has if they are guest of the OS X box
> and not
> legel users.  does this clear up what we are doing?"

You need to make sure their user ids are the same between the macs and
the LTSP server.  An NFS server is set up to just "believe" it's clients
when they say "my uid is 506."  As long as the NFS client says its
uid=506, the server treats him as if he were indeed uid 506.

To test this theory, open a shell on an LTSP terminal and do an "ls -l
/users" command.  This will tell you who the LTSP box thinks owns each
directory in /users.  In some cases, it may just print out the user id
numerically, because the LTSP box doesn't have a user associated with
the uid.  But if you find that user john apparently owns /users/bob,
you'll also find that user john can go into /users/bob and it would be
just as if he were bob himself.  This is because john's uid on LTSP is
the same as bob's uid on the mac.

You can fix this the easy/bad way, or you can fix this the hard/good way
;-)
The bad way is to change all the uid's on the LTSP box to match the uids
on the mac.  While this is easy in the short term, it's going to be a
headache in the long run as you add and delete accounts.

The hard way is to set up an LDAP server or NIS+ or something like
that.  I say it's hard, because I don't know how to do it myself.

jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
The sooner you get behind, the more time you'll have to catch up