Re: [K12OSN] LDAP...what is it and how can it help me

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:

>The magic bean...  this is where I need help - - among other places :)
>Make windows and mac auth against LDAP... Does this work through SMB, I
>mean make SMB auth through LDAP ?  And use SMB as a PDC for M$ PC clients.
>Yes/No ? The other big part is connecting the file systems so your /home
>drive follows you where ever you go.
>
>Have a nice day,

Not for the faint-of-heart...

One of my partners-in-crime, Shahms King (hi Shahms!), hacked LDAP support
into Samba. With Samba 2.2, this is compile-time option. With Samba 3.0,
it should be modular, i.e. the version shipped with the distributions will
support it out of the box.

You can download my build of Samba with LDAP support enabled here:

  ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/samba-ldap/

The README.txt contains brief instructions on the new configuration entries
required for LDAP support in Samba.

Once you have Samba setup, you need to setup the LDAP schemas and populate
the database with the correct entries. In the same directory you'll find
schemas for OpenLDAP (schema-2.0.tgz), a sample LDIF with known-to-work
entries (sample.ldif), and a utility to generate the windows password hashes
(smbpassgen).

If you install my samba-ldap package & make the necessary changes to smb.conf,
my "configureldap-server" script should migrate all of your old settings and
samba passwords (ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/ldaphacks/ldaphacks.tgz).
As the name implies, this is a hack - use with extreme caution. If it breaks
your server you get to keep both pieces ;-)

-Eric