Re: [K12OSN] LDAP...what is it and how can it help me

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 19:30, Eric Harrison wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, David Trask wrote:
>
> >Not trying to sound like an idiot here....and I do know a little about
> >LDAP, but I need more info.  I love the idea of having a master server
> >that handles all authentication for all users on all platforms...etc.   My
> >Windows users....my Mac users....and my K12LTSP folks.  Can LDAP
> >essentially do this?
>
> It can.
>
> >Would LDAP allow me to set up a /home directory
> >server that is accessible to all networks (Win XP and Macs) as well as be
> >able to export to my LSTP server so my Linux terminal users can access the
> >same home directory as well? (thus keeping the home dirs, data and users
> >off the LTSP box essentially making upgrades much less painful)
>
> This is how we have our networks setup.

And it's wonderful.  It makes configuring new servers or workstations
(or hopefully, some thin clients eventually) a breeze, NFS mounted home
directories, nss_ldap and pam_ldap for accounts all of which can be
setup in the RedHat installer.  Or any combination of the above,
depending on the services you need.  The only real trick (and it can be
rough) is figuring out LDAP ;-)

<snip>

> Integration and Account Management continues to become more and more of
> a problem for me and the schools I support. I have seen my schools become
> more heterogeneous over the last couple of years and I expect that trend to
> continue. I think I'm going to start working on a HOWTO...

Or some good LDAP configuration and management tools ;-)

--
Shahms E. King <shahms shahms com>