Re: [K12OSN] 3.0 upgrade & usernames/password

Jerome Edwards LISD wrote:
Is it possible to remove the user names & passwords files from a K12LTSP
ver. 2.1.2 PC and install them on the new K12LTSP 3.0 version? We have
hundreds of student user names that I am trying to prevent having to
reenter. We installed 3.0 on a new system rather than upgrading the software
on the current system.

Thanks,
Jerome E
LISD

Copy /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, and /etc/group from the old server to the new. Copy /home over to the new server as well.

I just did this upgrading from a RH6.x box to K12LTSP 3.0, and the only problem I had with doing it this way was removing the sshd user that RH8.0 creates for privilege separation on the sshd daemon. I did a simple `adduser sshd` and all was well again.

YMMV, but this process worked fine for me.

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator