Re: [K12OSN] Server specs

Thanks for all the input. Just a few more questions. I have been shopping around and have found this motherboard: Aopen Mainboard Dual-FCPGA Serverworks CN30LE ATX. I was thinking of putting 1GB of  RAM into it and two PIII 1.0GHz. This solution is expensive. Actually a P4 or AMD XP at 2.0GHz would be cheaper. What would be most effective, Dual PIII 1.0GHz or single AMDXP/P4 at 2.0GHz?

Another question. Let's say I spring for the dual PIII option. Would that mainboard fit into a standard ATX midi/maxi tower? I keep seeing dedicated server-towers (expensive ones). What's the story here? My system will be serving 9 thin clients for now. It will also be a domain-controller for an existing Windows network using samba. For both of these networks, it will be the printserver.

Trond Mæhlum

Bert Rolston wrote:
Hello Trond,

The installation process will detect multiple CPUs.

When I installed K12LTSP v2.0 the bootloader gave me two options at
startup.

I could use the single CPU or SMP kernel.

It's that simple.

The server I installed had the following specs.

ASUS Dual CPU system board with onboard dual channel U160 SCSI, 10 / 100
onboard NIC, serverset chipset (same chipset can be found on some Compaq
servers)
2 x PIII 850
3GB registered RAM
3 x 16 GB U160 scsi drives
20/40 GB Tandberg SLR tape drive (this was before people started
mentioning rsync to large backup drives :(  )

>From my experience it should happen automagically.

Cheers,
Bert