Re: [K12OSN] How to get terminals to boot on 3.0

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Dan Young wrote:

>David D. Nelson said:
>> I'm new to Linux and K12LTSP. I have installed K12LTSP
>> 2.1.0 and was able to get a terminal to boot ok. In
>> the /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf file I had to put the
>> following:
>>
>> [00:04:5a:65:bf:2e]
>>          XSERVER            = XF86_SVGA
>>          X_MODE_0 = "800x600"
>>
>> I did a fresh install of K12LTSP 3.0.0 and then added
>> the above lines but the boot up goes fine until the
>> graphic screen attempts to load.
>
>What is the error message you get when the graphic mode doesn't start?
>
>> I don't really know where to look to find out how to
>> set up specific settings for a particular workstation.
>> If you know where to point me it would be very
>> helpful.
>
>What is your workstation hardware like? More specifically, what is the
>video chipset?

In addition to the chip set being used, please let us know if setting
"USE_XFS = Y" in lts.conf makes the problem go away.

Also David, try commenting out the "XSERVER = XF86_SVGA" line and let
us know if that works ok.

I have heard of folks complaining that the old XF86_SVGA driver does not
work with the default settings in K12LTSP 3.0.0, but I have not been able
to repeat the problem myself. Yesterday, Dan ran into this problem and I
cranked out a quick patch to fix it. The next day, the working patch no
longer worked and we had to re-set "USE_XFS = Y". That worries me!

-Eric