Re: [K12OSN] Server suggestions

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:36:03PM -0500, Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> Could someone who's built a server recently suggest parts and give
> rough prices? Also, any gotchas I should watch for?

We put together a dual-AMD motherboard, and we observed the following "gotchas":
1) A 300W power supply is NOT enough - get a GOOD 400W model (like Antec)
2) We used a "RocketRaid" IDE controller (similar to Promise), and kept seeing APIC error messages and unexplained system lockups. Those glitches went away after switching to a 3ware Escalade (true hardware RAID) controller.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)