Re: [K12OSN] where to keep home

Eric mentioned in his post that he had written the instructions below for me. I got it successfully set up on a test OS X server but have been unable to deploy it in our environment since our two OS X servers were upgraded from previous AppleShare IP servers. Accounts were brought over by our Apple admin to mimic the former setup and not with a mind towards this K12LTSP need. The trick is to start with a "default" configured OS X server then the steps below work. OS X is not *nix. It may be based on BSD, but Apple moved everything. In fact, O'Reilly released a book to help *nix admins understand this "reconfiguring": "Mac OS X for Unix Geeks." The fact that this books is 216 pages should give you an indication.

I have a contact at Apple that is working on OS X issues. Terrific insights and knows *nix as well. Write me off list for his name and number; I'm certain that he will not mind.

Michael Thomas
Tigard-Tualatin School District
Tigard, Oregon