[K12OSN] Windows 2000 Active Directory Authentication

Hello,

I am attempting to setup a K12LTSP that will authenticate users in my Win2K Active Directory, and ultimately map their home directory stored on a Win2K file server.  I have read all the recent postings and the archives regarding this issue and there seems to be a couple different ways to do authentication.

Having successfully setup Mac OSX.2 to authenticate to my AD I thought setting up K12LTSP with OpenLDAP using similar settings as I used for OSX would be easy...  I was mistaken. I don't think I ever really had this close to working.

Having used samba before as a domain controller on a small network and as a member server in an NT domain I thought maybe I could use samba and pam to authenticate to the AD...  I was mistaken. I felt like I was close to having this working, but kept getting errors when I ran any of the 'wbinfo' commands.

I really need this to work to show the power of Linux and terminal servers to my tech committee. I am looking for some advice from somebody with experience in the area.  Currently I am running a Windows 2000 network in Native Mode, and I am requiring authentication for user enumeration. I know very little about LDAP, but I fumbled my way through in the OSX to AD authentication. I know zero about PAM.

I've seen several mentions of Windows Services for Unix in regards to LDAP authentication. Does SFU make this easier?  SFU appears to no longer be a free download from Microsoft so I want to be sure it would help me before I purchase it.

Has anybody written a "complete" howto about this? Something that takes a person through changes to the windows server config, changes to the K12LTSP config, etc from start to finish?  I have been reading so many different posts and documents and have found some good information, but I still feel like I'm chasing my tail.

Thank you,

Sherm                <><
We do not stop playing because we grow old,
we grow old because we stop playing.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes
K.R. "Sherm" Schuerman
Technology Administrator
Chester Area School
 <<Kelly Reed Schuerman (E-mail).vcf>>
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Schuerman;Kelly
FN:Schuerman, Kelly
ORG:Chester Area School - 39-1;Administration
TITLE:Technology Administrator
TEL;WORK;VOICE:(605) 489-2411
ADR;WORK:;;102 2nd Ave, Po Box 159;Chester;SD;57016
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:102 2nd Ave, Po Box 159=0D=0AChester, SD 57016
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:Kelly Schuerman k12 sd us
REV:20000211T202016Z
END:VCARD