Re: [K12OSN] Change the default WM

Kevin Squire wrote:
I want to change the default WM from GNOME to ICEWM. Right now we log in to runlevel 5 with GDM. When someone logs in without changeing their setting, they get GNOME. Since my kids are used to using windowsXP, and the ctrl-alt-del to log out, (and the lower footprint) I would like to use Ice.

With GDM, you want to edit /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Default to be something like this: (Thanks Eric!)

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/nautilus &    <-- This is optional; for nautilus file browsing.
exec /usr/bin/icewm

Note that you can add/edit/remove the other sessions (Gnome/KDE/icewm/whatever) from here also. If the user has already selected another (therefore overriding the default) and you want to force them back to the default, remove their ~/.wmrc and/or ~/.gnome2/gdm as per the "Reset your Desktop" script that is also in /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District