Re: [K12OSN] Terminal Errors: XDMCP

On 14 Jan 2003, Michael De Groat wrote:

>Greetings All,
>
>We are having some problems with some terminals at our multiple
>locations.  Occasionally we have terminals freeze and when the client
>restarts we get the following message:
>
>XDMCP Fatal error: Session declined, Maximum number of open sessions
>from your host reached.
>
>On some occasions rebooting the terminal after waiting 2 or 3 minutes
>solves the problem.  We have encountered several times when restarting
>the terminal the problem occurs again and the only way to get the
>terminal to reset is to reboot the server.   I have tried starting and
>stopping DHCP to no avail.
>
>Any suggestions you can give on how to reset the terminal server-side
>connection would be appreciated.  Having to reboot the server every time
>this happens is a major inconvenience!

Are you using K12LTSP v3.0.0 per chance?

We saw the same problem last week in a new, big lab (40 terminals).
We didn't get much time to debug it.  Riverdale, who's been running the
v3.0 code for a while now, uses KDM rather than GDM as the display manager.
We switched this lab over to KDM as well. Dan, is this still working well
for you?

If you want to try KDM, you can do so without changing the default
window manager.

Here's a short howto...

1) make sure KDM is installed:

	rpm -q kdebase

2) run:

	/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/kdmrc-update.pl

3) edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and add:

	DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

   you can leave DESKTOP="GNOME" to keep GNOME as the default desktop

4) reboot

-Eric