Re: [K12OSN] Terminal Errors: XDMCP

Eric Harrison said:
> On 14 Jan 2003, Michael De Groat wrote:
>
>>Greetings All,
>>
>>We are having some problems with some terminals at our multiple
>>locations.  Occasionally we have terminals freeze and when the
>> client restarts we get the following message:
>>
>>XDMCP Fatal error: Session declined, Maximum number of open
>> sessions from your host reached.
>>
>>On some occasions rebooting the terminal after waiting 2 or 3
>> minutes solves the problem.  We have encountered several times when
>> restarting the terminal the problem occurs again and the only way
>> to get the terminal to reset is to reboot the server.   I have
>> tried starting and stopping DHCP to no avail.
>>
>>Any suggestions you can give on how to reset the terminal
>> server-side connection would be appreciated.  Having to reboot the
>> server every time this happens is a major inconvenience!
>
> Are you using K12LTSP v3.0.0 per chance?
>
> We saw the same problem last week in a new, big lab (40 terminals).
>  We didn't get much time to debug it.  Riverdale, who's been running
> the v3.0 code for a while now, uses KDM rather than GDM as the
> display manager. We switched this lab over to KDM as well. Dan, is
> this still working well for you?

Roger that. KDM has been working well. It took me a bit to figure out
how to set the default session to IceWM (which works great w/ nautilus
w/ your new RPMs), but it's been spiffy since then.

I actually wanted to enforce IceWM as the only choice. I did this by
editing /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc and changing:

SessionTypes=default,kde,failsafe,gnome,icewm

SessionTypes=icewm

It looks like one could set a default using a Xsession file, but I
found those a bit obtuse. ;-)

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District