Re: [K12OSN] IDE vs SCSI

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 08:41, Jeff Zidek wrote:

> I want to make sure I understood you correctly.  Your main LTSP
> application server is a 5 gig with scsi and your data storage is to
> servers running 60 gig ide drives.  Did I get that correct?  Jeff

Our main server (RHS) is a quad xeon 500 mhz Intel beast of a box with a
single scsi drive for / and two 36gig scsi drives mounted in a raid
array for /home. This gives us a total of 67 gigs of formatted space for
/home. We export /home via nfs to our 4 application servers: Betty,
Veronica, Archie and Jughead. (We are Riverdale High School after
all...) ;-) All of these boxes have gig NICs and connect directly to a
gig switch.

The 4 application servers are dual Xeon 1.8ghz cpu based boxes with 4
gigs of ram each. These boxes have 1 60 gig IDE drive. I partitioned the
ide drives to give 5 gigs for / and saved the rest for a partition
called /backup. We use rsync to backup /home to those drives in the
middle of the night on a rotating basis. I paid $70 each for the 60 gig
drives and also saved money by purchasing dual Xeon motherboards without
an onboard scsi controller. See http://k12ltsp.org/rhs_casestudy.html
for more info...

Each application server is designed to serve 25 thin clients during the
day. There is a noticeable speed difference between the quad 500's and
the dual 1.8's. Enough so that the kids don't really use RHS as an
application server although they can. It's just slower.

;-) Paul

Paul Nelson.............................. pnelson riverdale k12 or us
Riverdale High...........9727 SW Terwilliger Blvd. Portland, OR 97219
(503)892-0722......fax(503)892-0723.... http://hs.riverdale.k12.or.us