Re: [K12OSN] IDE vs SCSI

On Wednesday 15 January 2003 10:40 am, Jim Thomas wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've been following a lot of threads lately about the performance of IDE
> vs SCSI, and you've seriously convinced me to move in a SCSI direction.

Here is a link comparing servers with ide drives and linux and windows
unfortunately they did not include a scsi for comparison.
You can see the first noticeable change in performance at 8 clients and a big
change at 16 clients. Obviously, ram helps but drive throughput is
important..

If you are using a single 10g ide drive, I am willing to bet that is a 5400
rpm drive and you may be only running at ata 33 or 66 not 100 or 133. Since
you have the system, swap and home on the same drive it is probably being
beaten to a bloody pulp! SCSI is nice but not always within the budget. If
you have to use ide, use the fastest ide and/or use more than one disk to
spread some of the load.

Here is a paper that shows that ide can be an alternative to scsi in some
situations. It compares 7200rpm ide to 10,000rpm scsi

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~bsw9d/papers/ide_scsi.pdf

Good Luck!