Re: [K12OSN] server capable ?

aust_txv ACCESS-K12 org wrote:
Greetings,
Since we are talking about performance (disk i/o).
For a server running only terminal services has anyone seen a speed jump using IDE RAID vs SCSI ? I have always used SCSI and SCSI RAID, but
some of these IDE RAID controllers advertise fast i/o and it is inexpensive.

We've tried several IDE RAID solutions and were hugely underimpressed with all of them. Seek times are still abysmal, and whatever the marketing departments claim the speeds are, they are probably consequential reads done on a good day in near-perfect conditions. Results of our benchmarks were quite different from the speeds the marketoids are touting.

In real life a terminal system will likely be issuing a lot of random reads and writes from all over the surface of the disk, so good sequential read performance means very little. Don't forget that it's still IDE, too -- the channel is still very limited and easily saturated. IDEs die far more frequently than SCSIs, too, and since they are not hot-swappable, you will be seeing amount of downtimes directly proportional to the number of disks in your array.

I'd say -- this is not the area where you should be trying to save money.

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Riabitsev
Duke University Physics Sysadmin