[K12OSN] apt-getting

Just installed my first 3.0.0 server... I see apt-get is installed, and since I'm a debian user, you can imagine my joy. :)

My question, dumb thought it may be, will a regular "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" keep my system up to date with updates and security fixes? While I'm not familiar with apt-get on redhat -- do I need to add anything to the equivalent of my "sources.list" ? (especially for security updates)

I really don't want to sign up for the redhat network stuff if I dont' have to, especially if apt-get will work.

Thank you for your patience,
-Shawn

-- Shawn Powers Technology Director Inland Lakes Schools PHN: (231)238-6868 FAX: (509)356-7024