Re: [K12OSN] Re-installing Linux (a little OT)

On Monday, January 20, 2003, at 01:58 AM, Eric Harrison wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Todd O'Bryan wrote:

I was backing up my server to my desktop machine, but I ran out of
space on my disk. Luckily, my Tech Coordinator had an extra 20GB hard
drive lying around, so I thought I'd install it on the desktop machine.
Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't boot from the Red Hat
installation CD or a floppy. (I still don't know why I can't.) So, I
popped the hard drive into my server, and installed from the server's
CD drive (last night around 6pm after all my students had left).

Only problem is that the installation is set up for the NICs in my
server, not those in my desktop. Kudzu ran, and supposedly fixed stuff,
but if I look in the graphical admin tools, it still thinks I have the
hardware on the server. Anybody know how to re-run the configuration at
the end of the installation? I still can't boot from the CD, but I can
read it once I've booted up, so, hopefully, there's a program on there
somewhere...

Is it the NIC working? It is hard to tell from the info above.

If it is working, don't touch it ;-)

No, the NIC is not working, and any attempts to use redhat-config-network have been unsuccessful.
When it first runs, it apparently realizes that what's in modules.conf doesn't match what's actually installed,
but it doesn't do anything about it.

Could I just remove the entries from modules.conf and let the OS try to rebuild them on its own, or
will that not work? I'm not sure which driver it uses...

If it is not working, do you happen to know which driver it uses?
If yes, you can just edit /etc/modules.conf by hand.

Alternatively, you can run redhat-config-network, click on the hardware
tab, delete the old entry & add a new one.

I know a couple of tricks to get kudzu to re-detect hardware, but we'll leave the black-magic as a last-ditch effort...

I'll let you know when I'm lying in that last ditch... :-)

Todd