Re: [K12OSN] Proccesses not dieing

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 05:42:24PM -0500, Matt wrote:
> Got a small problem here.
> It seems that after being up for 26 days.. the system has begun to get
> sluggish.. apon investigation it appears that there are user proccesses
> (mozilla, etc) that are not completely closing out.. even when the user
> logs out.. and they are still running in the background.   Does anyone
> know a way to stop this?  Or has anyone written a script to kill
> proccesses belonging to users every night that I could run in a cron?
> Any ideas?

I wrote the following script (I don't vouch for its perfection):

#!/bin/sh
for program in soffice.bin mozilla-bin nautilus oafd kdeinit kasteroids nspluginviewer icewm
do
    killall $program;sleep 5;killall -9 $program
done

I run it via a cron job at midnight, on the theory that nobody will be at school at that time.

The dual killall is my attempt to give programs a chance to close gracefully - I figure 5 seconds is enough time for them to do so.  After that 5 second inteveral I give them the axe.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)