Re: [K12OSN] LDAP, a how-to

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003, David Trask wrote:

> Eric and all,
>
> thanks for explaining a little about LDAP...sounds like it's the way to
> go.  I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the idiot-proof how-to
> from the man with all sorts of free time....Eric.  *grin*   Seriously, I'd
> appreciate any help you can give us on implementing LDAP...thanks!

We use LDAP with LTSP.

I am not going to do the step-by-step, but it is not that difficult.

in /etc/openldap/ldap.conf :

include                /etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include                /etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include                /etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema

########################

nis.schema holds all the passwd/shadow/group info.

Not on site at the moment, but I think you add ldap to passwd, group, shadow
entries in /etc/nsswitch.conf

in /etc/pam.d/gdm, add the following line :-

session    required     /lib/security/pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/

Put all your required startup files in /etc/skel.

I have an optional script and files (shar attached) that sets up a
galeon and netscape web proxy for users so they do not have to do it themselves.

Now all you have to do is add a user to LDAP and the home directory is
automatically created.

Cheers,    Andy