[K12OSN] Terminal Errors: XDMCP

>>On 14 Jan 2003, Michael De Groat wrote:

>>Greetings All,
>>
>>We are having some problems with some terminals at our multiple
>>locations.  Occasionally we have terminals freeze and when the client
>>restarts we get the following message:
>>
>>XDMCP Fatal error: Session declined, Maximum number of open sessions
>>from your host reached.
>>
>>On some occasions rebooting the terminal after waiting 2 or 3 minutes
>>solves the problem.  We have encountered several times when restarting
>>the terminal the problem occurs again and the only way to get the
>>terminal to reset is to reboot the server.   I have tried starting and
>>stopping DHCP to no avail.
>>
>>Any suggestions you can give on how to reset the terminal server-side
>>connection would be appreciated.  Having to reboot the server every time
>>this happens is a major inconvenience!
>
>Are you using K12LTSP v3.0.0 per chance?
>
>We saw the same problem last week in a new, big lab (40 terminals).
>We didn't get much time to debug it.  Riverdale, who's been running the
>v3.0 code for a while now, uses KDM rather than GDM as the display manager.
>We switched this lab over to KDM as well. Dan, is this still working well
>for you?
>
>If you want to try KDM, you can do so without changing the default
>window manager.
>
>Here's a short howto...
>
>1) make sure KDM is installed:
>
>	rpm -q kdebase
>

>2) run:
>
>	/opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/kdmrc-update.pl
>

>3) edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop and add:
>
>	DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>
>   you can leave DESKTOP="GNOME" to keep GNOME as the default desktop
>

>4) reboot
>
>-Eric

Eric,

I had the same problem. We have 40 terminals in our computer room. Occasionally some of them would not boot and get the XDMCP Fatal error: Session declined, Maximum number of open sessions from your host reached. The server would have to be rebooted to fix the problem. I switched to KDM and the problem went away. However now I noticed that logging to utmp and wtmp does not work if the user logs in using Gnome. If the user logs in to KDE then everything is fine. This is a bit of a pain for two reasons 1) I have no way of knowing who is logged in. Last, who, finger return nothing except users logged in to KDE and 2) our print quota system can not send messages to users trying to print. Such as when the do not have enough quota to complete the current job.

To recap: KDM and KDE OK
          KDM and Gnome no user logging
          GDM and Gnome OK except XDMCP Fatal error on some machines
          GDM and KDE Haven't tested

Tony Peckham
Network Administrator
Memorial University of Newfoundland