Re: [K12OSN] How-to: Floppy at every workstation & multiple server setup

Alan A Hodson wrote:

[snip]

> 2) If say three servers are purchased in a Middle School (one for each
> grade level), other than IPs, what defaults need to be tweaked to avoid
> freezes? Also, how can I direct automagically each user to their right box
> at login? I believe a box running Samba might accomplish this, but I am
> trying to just use K12LTSP servers by themselves. The idea is to put three
> labs in different parts of the school, but allow any user to login into
> their assigned server.

I think what you really need to do is send them to their proper home
directory rather than to a particular server.  It shouldn't really
matter where their applications run or which box they're logged into -
what matters is that all their files are available no matter where they
log in.

If one of your three servers is more powerful than the others, or if it
has extra disk space, that's the obvious candidate for the file server.
If they're all the same, you should make the case that you need funds to
equip one with SCSI drives and then use it (alternatively, you could
build a dedicated file server on a separate machine).

To do this, you'll need to find and read the NFS HOWTO.  Once you have a
file server configured (and it may be an LTSP server), you need to
configure the remaining LTSP's to use it.  That's the easy part.  Simply
add an entry in the /etc/fstab file so that they all mount /home from
the NFS server (if you use an LTSP box as the file server, you will NOT
need to have it mount the file system via NFS).

You don't HAVE to use samba for this, but if you run samba on the
fileserver, the home directories will be available to Windows boxen as
well.

Sorry that this post is short on details, but I don't know them off the
top of my head - I'd have to look them up and rewrit the NFS HOWTO.
It's better that you find it and read it yourself, because it will be
substantially more correct and authoritative than anything I could say.

jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, they're
not