Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP 3.0 and VNC server

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Rick Hartz wrote:

>Hello,
>
>     I've done 2 installs of the K12LTSP 3.0 and in both instances, when I
>connect with the VNC viewer, I get the infamous gray screen with an X in the
>middle. I've noticed it's been setup with multiple resolutions and color
>depths but in every case I still get the gray screen problem. If there is a
>way to get this working, does it allow users other than root to use the
>system remotely via VNC? We really, really need to find a way to run the
>LTSP from within a web browser if there is any method of doing this. This is
>just the trick we need in our district to gain acceptance of the terminal
>server idea (roaming users). VNC would work fine but I thought you can only
>login as root with it? Any ideas?
>
>-Rick

If you look way-back in the list archives, you'll see that providing
vnc "web access" out-of-the-box has been bugging me for a while now.

I did a google search and found this jem:

	http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2002-October/033818.html

I built packages which give vnc "web access" to K12LTSP, but there are
a couple serious caveats that dimish the usefulness:

First is that you have to have httpd running and the appropriate holes in
the firewall (tcp ports 80, 5903, 5904).

Second is that is a bit non-intuitive in that users will first see a "VNC
Authentication" screen. The "Password" field is ignored, they just need
to click on the "OK" button.

The third issue is the real problem: doing *ANYTHING* to the browser will
kill the session. Clicking on the "Back", "Forward", or "Reload" buttons,
and in some cases resizing the browser, will immediately kill all programs
the user was running and disconnect them. Yuck.

If that does not scare you off, please give these packages a spin ;-)

	ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/vnc-hack/

After installing these on your server, point our web browser to:

	http://yourserver/vnc/hires
	http://yourserver/vnc/lowres

where hires = 1024x768 and lowres = 800x600 screens.

-Eric