[K12OSN] Trying to sell K12LTSP at our school

We just had 16 Dell Celeron 400 computers donated to our school (K to
4 currently but adding a grade each year for four more years so K to
8 eventually).  These have 4 GB hard drives and RAM ranging from 64
to 192 MB (mostly 96).  They all have network cards (on the
motherboard).  Another father and I have been asked to set up a lab.
I've been looking at K12LTSP and hoping I could get it figured out
before this sort of thing happened.  I'm not quite there but now
seems my chance to strike.  I need to set up a demo for them.
Without actually having any money to spend (yet) for server hardware,
I've installed the package on an old HP Server I happened to have (a
Pentium 166 - it seemed fast when we got it).  I figure it should be
okay for a demo with only one client.  Tonight I will go through the
setup and try to connect a client.  If that goes well, I should be
all set to show it off.

My plan is to start with a visual taste of Linux.  Then I'll list the
costs of putting Windows XP and Office on 16 workstations, including
more RAM and a few hard drives (three machines had none).  We'd also
need a central file server, although it won't necessarily need to be
particularly fast in this configuration.  I'll remind them that this
hardware is really only barely adequate to run Windows XP.  I'll
finish with the cost if we take all that cash and put it into a
powerful server (or two).  That many licenses of Windows and Office
alone would pay for a pretty decent server, I'd think.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

In any case, I have a few sort of basic questions.  My understanding
of thin clients is that our Dell computers should work fine.  Should
I take the hard drives out since they won't be used or just use them
instead of boot floppies?  Does the RAM in the client computer
actually do anything (beyond making the computer CMOS happy)?  Put
another way, are there RAM requirements for clients?  Do they need
any RAM at all?  Are there any problems if the client machines have
different graphics cards (assuming they are at least supported by
XFree86)?

--
Henry Hartley
Potomac, Maryland