Re: [K12OSN] Trying to sell K12LTSP at our school

> In any case, I have a few sort of basic questions.  My understanding
> of thin clients is that our Dell computers should work fine.  Should
> I take the hard drives out since they won't be used or just use them
> instead of boot floppies?  Does the RAM in the client computer
> actually do anything (beyond making the computer CMOS happy)?  Put
> another way, are there RAM requirements for clients?  Do they need
> any RAM at all?  Are there any problems if the client machines have
> different graphics cards (assuming they are at least supported by
> XFree86)?

I think your Microsoft $ versus Ltsp/OpenSource startegy is a good one. I'd
rip out the hard drives and just use the floppies for now. It'd make your
machines quieter and they'd use less power (if your concerned with that). You
could however put the bootrom on the harddrives and have a little more
reliable drive than a floppy drive to boot them up, not to mention you
wouldn't have to worry about boot floppies disappearing.  Terminals can run
great on just 16mb ram, you've got dream terminals =). Different hardware,
like video cards, isn't a problem. You will put the mac addresses of each
machine in the dhcpd.conf file so they can be identified and assign each a
machine name (ws001, or whatever). In the lts.conf file, you can use a
default hardware configuration for the majority and if you have one with say,
a trident card you can specify the workstation name and the type of hardware
it has. HTH

--
Caleb Wagnon, MCP
Office of Technology

Linux...
"Find out what you've been missing while you've been rebooting Windows"