[K12OSN] OpenOffice hangs on startup w/ "solution" for archives

I was having problems w/ OpenOffice failing to start for a couple of
 users last week. It started fine for most users; just a couple were
 experiencing problems.

After starting "oowriter" or any other Ooo program from the console,
 "Starting OpenOffice.org..." would display in the console, but the
splashscreen would never show up.

I tried deleting their ~/.openoffice directory, without success.

"strace oowriter" found that it stopped loading as it was trying to
access "/tmp/OSL_PIPE_<xxxx>_SingleOfficeIPC_<xxxxxxxx>", where
<xx...>  is a random number. I deleted the one owned by the user
having the  problem and oowriter (et al) started right up.

I'm now planning to purge those files nightly via cron. I haven't
filed  a bug report at openoffice.org yet, nor tried the 1.0.2
maintenance release.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District