RE: [K12OSN] Linux at our school

Jeff,

Here is what I would do.  (In fact, I have done this to test K12LTSP.)

Get one computer with 2 NICS.  A 1 Ghz Celeron w/ 256MB Ram is what I am
using as a test server.  (Of course, when I implement this in a lab, the
server will be much more powerful.)
Get a 2nd computer with a single NIC.  (Preferably with a PXE compliant
NIC.)

Install K12LTSP on the "server" computer.
Connect the first NIC of the server to your network.
Connect the second NIC of the server to a small hub/switch.
Connect the second (client) computer to the hub/switch.

Fire up the "server".
Fire up the client.  (Boot from NIC or from a boot floppy.)

This works very well to get the feel for K12LTSP.  It is best if the client
computer doesn't even have a hard drive in it - just because that proves to
people that you can save SIGNIFICANT dollars by this type of installation.

You could hit this with 2-3 clients.  Don't put any more than that until you
get a server that has some power.  You want your test bed to work.

You can demonstrate/test this without breaking the bank.

Jim Hays, Technology Director
Monticello CUSD#25
#2 Sage Drive
Monticello, IL  61856