Re: [K12OSN] Yellow Dogs

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, Shawn Powers wrote:

> Thinking about the last post concerning XDarwin, and Yellowdog...
>
> Is it feasible to install yellowdog on an older macintosh, and during
> boot-up have it start a remote X session from the LTSP server?  I know
> the speed when using XDarwin on OSX to do that is incredible, much
> faster than VNC...
>
> I know there is a little blurb on ltsp.org about actually booting from
> the Mac, but getting a kernel from the LTSP box, etc etc -- but with a
> full install of yellowdog ON the mac, is it possible to have it boot
> "into X running a remote session to the LTSP box" ?
>
> Boy would THAT be great for me...  I'm willing to experiment, but wanted
> some more knowledgable opinions first.  Thanks,

I've not tried Yellow Dog, and i've never actually used a Mac,
but getting a session on an LTSP server should simply be a
matter of finding out how X is started on the Mac, and adding
'-query xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx', where the x's are the IP address or
the hostname of the LTSP server.

Jim McQuillan
jam Ltsp org