Re: [K12OSN] Wireless thin-clients?

Hi Dave,

I started looking at this a while ago with the idea of giving some of
our Dr's a a wireless solution to acccess their information on PDA's via
wireless which piqued my interest in both the K12LTSP and LSTP projects.
The closest thing I came up with  then (that had a display you could
see) that ran linux cost $2700 and was not open sourced. I have however
tried a Sharp Zaurus PDA which does run linux and other than the fact
that a good pair of glasses is needed might provide some possibilities
to running a linux appliance over a wireless connection at a decent
price if you just want to try something. There is a decent amount of
software available for this device including X11 and vnc client software
at http://www.killfiz.de/zaurus. Should not be to hard to get something
going with wap on the terminal side.

At any rate, there seems to be a fair amount of development going on
with both this device and tablet PC's so it shouldn't be too long before
the wireless "revolution " takes over (as if it hasn't already).

Ron Baughman
Shriners Hospitals Cincinnati