Re: [K12OSN] Compaq as thin client - need input please

MK Murlas wrote:
We need some input on setting up Compaq PCs as
thin clients:

1. Setting up as a thin client:
   We have had a problem with a NIC with boot rom,
   and NIC without, using a floppy to boot.  We have
   used both successfully on other systems, so it is
   not the NICs.

The error message we are getting is:

   pcibios_init: entry in high memory, giving up
   pci_init: no BIOS32 detected
   probing [3c90x] no adaptor found <sleep>

We tried this on 2 models, 4712 and 4122

If you are using a bootrom from www.rom-o-matic.org, click on the optional "Configure" button on the page where you select your NIC. Check the box for "CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT". The description says "define this for PCI BIOSes that do not implement BIOS32 or not correctly."

2. 433 MHz machines
We have the option to get several Compaq 433 MHz
systems for schools, but don't want to commit
until we know we acn use them for either:
a. LTSP and/or
b. thin client

Dunno about this. Can you get a sample one and try it out? Newer stuff tends to work better, with them having PCI or AGP video, PS/2 or USB devices, etc. But your mileage may vary.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District