Re: [K12OSN] Expansion of LTSP

Caleb Wagnon wrote:

> The LTSP has been a success here and with the upcoming "expansions" of
> our district our LTSP will be expanding as well. We have 60 terminals
> now and will be adding at least 60 more. My current plan is to
> restructure our current setup by purchasing two more servers, using one
> to serve our home directories (while also providing samba services to
> the rest of the district after the upcoming migration) and the other two
> will be terminal servers that smbmount the home directories on our main
> server. That is the current _idea_. Does anyone see any possible
> complications caused by this setup? Would this be too much for one
> server? Could there be issues I'm not seeing with people accessing their
> folders on windows boxes and also using those same home shares with
> ltsp? I can't think of any but I wanted to throw this out to the list so
> you guys can help me knock it around a little bit. Thanks in advance.

First of all, congrats on your expansion.:-)

I would be more inclined to export your file systems to the LTSP boxen
using NFS rather than Samba.  The main reason is that NFS has more of a
"native" feel to it.  AFIAK, the Windows file system does not support
the concept of user/group/world file permissions, and that's what you'd
be supporting with Samba.  Samba plays tricks to enforce these
permissions, because the file system it's operatin on does require
permissions, but the SMB doesn't - so it jumps through hoops to make
them work.  NFS on the other hand, DOES understand unix file permissions
natively, so I'd go that route.

That said, I'd STILL put Samba on the file server so that people could
access their files from the Other Side.

jthomas bittware com  http://www.bittware.com          (703) 779-7770
The secret to enjoying your job is to have a hobby that's even worse
  - Calvin's Dad