RE: [K12OSN] Compaq as thin client - need input please

Thank you Dan - this worked just fine!  :) MK

-----Original Message-----
From: k12osn-admin redhat com [mailto:k12osn-admin redhat com]On Behalf
Of Dan Young
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 10:44 AM
To: k12osn redhat com
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Compaq as thin client - need input please

MK Murlas wrote:
> We need some input on setting up Compaq PCs as
> thin clients:
>
> 1. Setting up as a thin client:
>    We have had a problem with a NIC with boot rom,
>    and NIC without, using a floppy to boot.  We have
>    used both successfully on other systems, so it is
>    not the NICs.
>
>    The error message we are getting is:
>
>    pcibios_init: entry in high memory, giving up
>    pci_init: no BIOS32 detected
>    probing [3c90x] no adaptor found <sleep>
>
>    We tried this on 2 models, 4712 and 4122

If you are using a bootrom from www.rom-o-matic.org, click on the
optional "Configure" button on the page where you select your NIC. Check
the box for "CONFIG_PCI_DIRECT". The description says "define this for
PCI BIOSes that do not implement BIOS32 or not correctly."

> 2. 433 MHz machines
>
>    We have the option to get several Compaq 433 MHz
>    systems for schools, but don't want to commit
>    until we know we acn use them for either:
>
>    a. LTSP and/or
>    b. thin client

Dunno about this. Can you get a sample one and try it out? Newer stuff
tends to work better, with them having PCI or AGP video, PS/2 or USB
devices, etc. But your mileage may vary.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District