[K12OSN] Client doesn't boot: VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs"

I have spent several hours now with different clients.  Each fails to
boot  with the following message:

VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

I am using a 3com 3c905b-tx NIC.
I have tried this with Compaq Deskpro 4000, Dell Optiplex GM 5166 and a
generic ASUS P2B board with a 400MHz PII.  All fail at this same spot.

I even completely re-installed the test LTSP server.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Dave Hopkins