Re: [K12OSN] pam_auth and ncsa_auth

Shawn Powers wrote:

For the life of me, I can't get pam_auth to work for squid authentication. However, ncsa_auth works fine -- if I set it to SUID root... Doing the same for pam_auth doesn't work...

I tried at the commandline, and ncsa_auth gives me "OK" with a username and password -- but pam_auth gives ERR every time. Perhaps pam_auth uses some sort of encryption, and that's why it wont' work (and it would obviously be more secure)

Advantages of pam_auth over ncsa_auth? Thanks!

they do different things. pam_auth asks "is this a valid user ?" (I think - never used it)

ncsa_auth asks "is this user in your /auth file/?"

My squid-auth script builds it's own authfile and then runs squidguard+ncsa_auth.

/steve