From: Walker, Clay [mailto:clay pisd net]
Sent: January 30, 2003 9:05 AM
To: 'k12osn redhat com'
Subject: RE: [K12OSN] WinSchool

Hello Erfan,
I have tested neither the client nor server in a wine environment.  The
server requires NT/2000 while the client can run on 9x workstations.  I
have
only played with Wine a little bit and am not sure that it can support
NT/2000.

If you have not heard, Chancery (the WinSchool creators/publishers) is
changing WinSchool.  They have already developed a new application that
will
replace WinSchool.  This application is based on microsoft's .net (or
whatever they will call it today).  My understanding is that Chancery
will
require Win 2K/2k03 running IIS 5.0 or better to run the new
applications.
And, I also believe the application is completely web based.

I love the concept of web-based application, but in this case it is
sorry.
IIS and .net will require a later version of Internet Explorer to
view/write
the WinSchool database.  IE will also be required on the teacher
workstations to take attendance and to enter grades.

If I am not mistaken, these new web-based applications are ready to roll
out
very soon (< 1 year).  We use an Education Service Center between us and
Chancery so I don't have as much access to that information.

I'm thinking an alternative to WinSchool is a good solution.  This list
has
shown some in previous posts.  One challenge here in Texas is the
statewide
data standards submission requirements (PEIMS).  None of the
alternatives
listed in previous posts were PEIMS compliant.  Hopefully, one will come
along soon.

Clay