Re: [K12OSN] screensavers

:-)  I see your point.  But the context was limited to K12 and not
universities.  I believe there *is* a need for censorship within K12.  Think
dress codes, rules of conduct, personal hygiene requirements, public
displays of affection, cafeteria rules, etc, etc, etc.  There is definitely
a need for "common sense" censorship when educating the youth.

The issue is that the screensavers are part of an independently maintained
project (http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/) having a broader audience than
just K12 schools.  Furthermore, the xscreensaver package is the standard
screensaver package for RedHat Linux (http://www.redhat.com/) -- from which
the K12LTSP distribution is derived -- which also contributes to an audience
much broader than just K12 schools.

It is likely impossible to convince either the xscreensaver project or the
RedHat Linux distribution to remove screensavers that are inappropriate only
in a K12 setting as the majority of their audiences do not desire such a
limitation.  It would also be an additional burden to the K12LTSP
distribution maintainers to check and rebuild each release from the
"upstream" projects in order to remove the screensavers.  Not to mention, it
would put the K12LTSP distribution maintainers in the position of
"censors" -- and they have much better things to do than to be stuck in that
political hot-seat.

It would be nice, however, if a "wiki" or some other public document
maintaining application could be added to the K12LTSP web site.  A topic
could be added for a "common sense school checklist" where in *we* could
contribute checklist type notes on what bases should be covered as LTSP goes
into a school.  This would be a good home for detailed instructions on how
school administrators can remove those screensavers themselves.  Thereby,
each school is its own censor.

Is that a possibility?
--Kyle

Kyle Herbert