Re: [K12OSN] screensavers

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Steve Wright wrote:

> I share your conviction, but I am thinking we will be better off to
> simply remove the offending screensavers as part of the ltsp-initialize
> script.
>
> Attempting to persuade the xscreensaver project people may be be
> percieved as criticism, and not taken lightly.

,,, or more effectively, sending patches which implement a
method for characterizing each entry in XScreenSaver with
corresponding control interface for xscreensaver-demo, as to
load, GL requirements, presence of 'adult' content, and
whatever other criteria one wishes; along with a description
of how this is needful to satisfy legitimate requirements in
some environments, just might get applied.

... a lot of work, of course -- another like project
'sanitizing' fortunes-mod of all copyright infringing,
salicious, non-PC,  or whatever material -- probably not gonna
happen, except by a motivated 'customer' willing to pay the
cost in time to do themself, or to spend even more in $$ to
hire it done.

... it is usually pretty effective to lurk a mailing list, and
to read the FAQ, to 'scope out' the lay of the land.  My prior
contact has not been hostile there.

-- Russ Herrold