Re: [K12OSN] Re: Censorship lives!

Anthony,

> I'll tell you now, if one student went home and told Mom 'n' Pop
> that Mr. B's classroom computer has a screensaver called
> "stoner's view" on it that gives the recipe for mescaline, the local
> Christian Coalition would be calling for my head, and I'd be in big
> trouble.

Being both a parent of children in a Christian grade school and an
administrator of that school's technology assets, your comment strikes home
on two levels.  I agree completely.  Thankfully, I had disabled all
screensavers by default after installing K12LTSP ... or I'm sure I would
have already had some explaining to do.

> This project, of all the projects in development for k12 schools,
> in my estimation, has had the most success and demonstrates
> the greatest potential to acheive deep penetration of OSS into
> schools.  I would like to see it continue to explore that potential.

Once again I agree completely, and I can totally see blatant illegal drug
references hindering that penetration.  The sad irony of a monitor
displaying an LSD molecule sitting before a "Just Say No" poster on the wall
would not be lost on school boards.

Steve Wright posted earlier regarding the use of ltsp_initialize to strip
out the inappropriate screensavers.  Perhaps that is for the best ... one
step beyond my own thought of publicizing the steps administrators would use
to remove the screensavers themselves.  Is ltsp_initialize called during an
ISO image install of K12LTSP?

Unfortunately ... I don't know Perl ... so I am at a loss as to how to
contribute to the solution ...  How to proceed?

Cheers,
--Kyle

Kyle Herbert
http://www.firstnetimpressions.com/