Re: [K12OSN] Re: Censorship lives!

Kyle Herbert wrote:

Steve Wright posted earlier regarding the use of ltsp_initialize to strip
out the inappropriate screensavers.  Perhaps that is for the best ... one
step beyond my own thought of publicizing the steps administrators would use
to remove the screensavers themselves.  Is ltsp_initialize called during an
ISO image install of K12LTSP?

Unfortunately ... I don't know Perl ... so I am at a loss as to how to
contribute to the solution ...  How to proceed?

Perl is not that hard, and is certainly less picky and inconsistant compared to bash scripting. It's one of those things that you can do, but if you don't do it, it won't get done.

have a look at /opt/ltsp/templates/ltsp_initialize

Right at the end of the script before the 'newline' function call, you can insert whatever command you want. Here's what that part looks like ;

} } } }

# insert extra commands to run here

newline();

To execute a Bash-shell command, use the Perl `system` command, like this ;

system ( "rm inappropriatescreensaver") ;

This will run `rm inappropriatescreensaver` in the bash shell. Please be careful - this runs as root.

Hoping the list can get back to tolerance and peace real soon. take it easy out there.

HTH, Steve