Re: [K12OSN] Too weird for words - Epia-V mobo problem and solution

--- Chris Hobbs <chobbs silvervalley k12 ca us> wrote:
> I just thought I'd share this with the list, one because I'm still
> shaking
> my head, and two, someone else might come across the same issue.
>
> I purchased 65 Epia-V mobos with 800MHz processors and cases from
> kricomputers.com - good price, quick shipping, yadda, yadda...
>
> They wouldn't boot off my existing LTSP setup. No problem, I'm actually
> going to be using them at a different site with a new server based on
> 3.1.0
> - I'll wait til that's in to see what happens.
>
> Still no joy, and now I'm getting worried. Can't seem to find a similar
> problem on google so I call VIA's tech support. They, happily, get back
> me in about 2 hours (kudos to them for it!).
>
> These boxes have no drives, no floppies, no CD-ROMs, no additional PCI
> cards. I don't need any of that for terminals.
>
> The reason they won't boot properly? The mobo doesn't draw enough power,
> so
> the power supply shuts down! I thought the tech guy was nuts, but as soon
> as
> I plugged a hard drive onto the power cable, the box boots flawlessly.
>
> So now, I get to order a bunch of 4-pin power connectors and a bunch of
> resistors and build some dummy loads for my terminals. Unreal.
>
> --
> Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
> Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
> webmaster:   http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/
> postmaster:               chobbs silvervalley k12 ca us
> pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc

That's a good thing!  Used to be you could blow up a PS if a HDD weren't
attached.  Most modern ATX PS should be able to deal with almost 0 load
without keeling over...

FWIW, you don't have to build your own dummy loads if you don't wish, you
should be able to find them pre-fabricated...

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/alarmandaccesories/accessories/popups/index1Aloadresistr.htm

OT, but thought I might pass it along as well.  Here's a cool little system
alarm worth a look:
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/alarmandaccesories/alert/index.htm

James Jensen