Re: [K12OSN] Too weird for words - Epia-V mobo problem and solution

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Chris Hobbs wrote:
> I just thought I'd share this with the list, one because I'm still shaking
> my head, and two, someone else might come across the same issue.
>
> I purchased 65 Epia-V mobos with 800MHz processors and cases from
> kricomputers.com - good price, quick shipping, yadda, yadda...
>
> They wouldn't boot off my existing LTSP setup. No problem, I'm actually
> going to be using them at a different site with a new server based on 3.1.0
> - I'll wait til that's in to see what happens.
>
> Still no joy, and now I'm getting worried. Can't seem to find a similar
> problem on google so I call VIA's tech support. They, happily, get back to
> me in about 2 hours (kudos to them for it!).
>
> These boxes have no drives, no floppies, no CD-ROMs, no additional PCI
> cards. I don't need any of that for terminals.
>
> The reason they won't boot properly? The mobo doesn't draw enough power, so
> the power supply shuts down! I thought the tech guy was nuts, but as soon as
> I plugged a hard drive onto the power cable, the box boots flawlessly.
>
> So now, I get to order a bunch of 4-pin power connectors and a bunch of
> resistors and build some dummy loads for my terminals. Unreal.

Chris,
	the obvious problem *seems* to be insufficient load, but it
*really* is the wrong power supply. Ilan 48W PSUs installed in casetronic
boxes work just fine with even lower load - (via eden 533MHz).
	btw, the loads don't have to be dummy - try driving any usb device
that draws power. julius