Re: [K12OSN] Too weird for words - Epia-V mobo problem and solution

James Jensen wrote:

FWIW, you don't have to build your own dummy loads if you don't wish, you
should be able to find them pre-fabricated...

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/alarmandaccesories/accessories/popups/index1Aloadresistr.htm

Thanks for the link - experimenting shows that I only need to add an additional ~120mA of load. Adding a full amp would be way overkill.

Nicely enough, the dummy you linked to is easy to duplicate. The Arcol power resistor they're using is available (cheaply) for about $1.20 each through mouser. Hunting around for Molex connectors, heat shrink tubing, and wire brings the total materials cost to $2.14 each. Add another $1.00 each for labor (since we're doing 65 of them, we'll get an assembly line going), and we're at about half the price. I can also then get exactly the load that I want (240mA will give me enough cushion to be happy, without wasting too much energy).

I knew that ham radio license study would come in handy :)

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator